Tuesday, December 16, 2008
One Calgary Winter Day
-40*C?!? Yup, this is what the temperature was on Monday morning with the windchill. And yes, I had to walk to work. 30 minutes out in that weather. I bet you all thought I couldn't do it! Well, I did! It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I bundled up really good though. I prepared everything the night before so everything was planned out. Sweater, coat, toque, scarf, two paris of mittens, wind-breaker pants, and boots. I had a good pace going so I barely felt it. Near the end of my journey however, I could feel my legs starting to get a bit cold, but the one thing I was worried about most was my eyelashes! As I was breathing in and out of my scarf that was covering everything but my eyes, the steam came up into my face, making moisture on my scarf, eyes, and toque. I took a quick glimpse of myself in a window as I was passing by and my whole face was covered in ice. At one point I all of a sudden couldn't see out of my left eye and then half way out of my right eye because when I blinked, my eyelashes froze together! Yikes! I'm cold and blind now! So in reaction I tried to fix them apart with my mitten. Didn't work. I had to take off my mitten and squeeze my eyelashes until the balls of ice melted off! Remind me again, why do I live in Calgary? Sure I love the white Christmases, but I think this is a bit overboard. Oh yeah, when I finally got to work, the system was down and there was no work to do. Why do I even bother? Maybe this has something to do with my "winter depression"?!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh no! Not only do you have to WALK to work. but you have to actually WORK! haha I did see your lovely heating up the car this morning though and he was back within 20 minutes after he left. Was he nice enough to give you a lift?
Yes, I make him drive me when he's home in the mornings. On Monday he had to work early, so I was still sleeping when he left, so there was no way I was going to go to work THAT early! I just sit around at work anyways, so it wouldn't be worth my time. I do appreciate the nice drive to work though :)
Yikes! I'm glad you survived! I think I've been out of the house only once since the cold hit. Pretty sad.
Post a Comment